We know that accidents happen in the home, so please refer to our quick reference guide below on how to treat various spills and stains from a DIY point of view. These should help you on your way to improving the appearance of these minor blemishes.
Should you need further help, we will be more than happy to take your calls and attend your property to use our professional means of stain treatments.
HKS carpet cleaning fact - Microbiological research from a survey of London streets has demonstrated that the carpets inside the homes were five to six times dirtier than the streets outside.
After speaking to many of our customers, it has become clear to us that many people use inappropriate carpet stain removers or inappropriate means of removing stains. For this reason, we have had our own branded stain removers produced that are safe and easy for our customers to use, yet highly effective on many water based spots and spills on any washable fibre.
Add to this, we will provide a 'bottomless' bottle of stain remover for as long as you are our customer. For a price of only £7, this is excellent value!
- Never rub a stain, whatever it may be as you will run the risk of permanently distorting the pile of your carpet. You also risk spreading the stain by doing this.
- Always apply downwards pressure by dabbing at stains with white kitchen towel or a hand towel.
- Do not over wet into backing materials.
- Always test any detergent on an inconspicuous area of carpet prior to treating a stain.
- Use detergents at recommended dilution ratios.
- Scrape up or blot up any excess prior to treatment.
- Do not use inappropriate detergents on carpets or upholstery i.e. (washing up liquid, wash powders, household bleach, disinfectants).
- Always work from the out side of the stain inward to avoid spreading.
- Always apply the cleaning fluid to the absorbent spotting material not directly onto the carpet or fabric.
- Encourage quick drying.
- Deal with stains as quickly as possible for increased chances of success.
- Keep the fabric or carpet as dry as possible.
(i.e. Chocolate, Butter, Lipstick, some Oily Food stains, some Ink)
- Apply small quantity of Surgical spirit to some cotton wool or cotton bud.
- Using the lightly soaked cotton wool apply to the edges of the stain working inwards to the centre.
- Gently press (Blot) either Terry towel, or kitchen roll, and repeat as necessary until the stain no longer transfers. Do not allow penetration into the back of carpeting or foam filling materials! Some fabrics may darken initially during this process.
- Using a detergent solution on cotton wool, dampen the area and follow up by blotting with kitchen roll or terry towel.
- Dry, using hair dryer, continually moving over the damp area. (This will help to prevent water marking).
(i.e. Tea, Coffee, Fruit juices, Wine, some Basic Food stains)
- Soak up immediately using absorbent material, or suck up with a wet pick up vacuum.
- Rewet the area using tepid water on a small piece of sponge or cotton wool.
- Blot with dry absorbent material Terry towel, kitchen roll, (Repeat as necessary…)
- Dry with hair dryer keeping the dryer moving all the time, (this will help to prevent watermarking).
- Detergent Solution: Two litres of tepid water + a quarter of a teaspoon ONLY of carpet shampoo + one eggcup full of (white vinegar)
- Rewet the stained area using the detergent solution applied on a piece of cotton wool.
- Blot using kitchen roll or terry towel as above.
The final procedure for carpets following the wetting and blotting procedures should be as follows: -
Place 5-6 layers of kitchen roll on the affected area and place on top a telephone directory. Allow to dry over 24 hours, this will absorb any stain in the base of the fibre’s that are likely to wick up to the surface during the drying process.
Whilst the stain removal guide may be simple and basic, it will assist in the professional’s chances of success should you find expert assistance required. If followed it should help prevent some quite common and expensive DIY stain removal damage.
Call us on 08000 463 422 for a free no obligation quotation